Cover of 'Anzac Memorial', published by the Returned Soldiers' Association of NSW, 1916

Historical note: 

In November 1915, public health campaigners Dr. Mary Booth and William Brooks established a Returned Soldiers' Association (RSA) and Soldiers' Club at the Royal Hotel on George Street, Sydney. The RSA hoped to 'bind the returned soldiers together, to give them new and wider interests, and, if possible, assits them to get work'. ('Returned Soldiers' Association', Sydney Mail, 22 December 1915: 28, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article162493956).

The association established kiosks for returned soldiers in Hyde Park and published Anzac Memorial, marking the 'names and deeds of the soldiers and sailors of Australia and New Zealand'. (Sekuless & Rees, Lest we forget: the history of the Returned Services League 1916-1986, p.22)

Materials: 
Paper
Category: 
Souvenirs and ephemera
Conflict: 
First World War (1914-18)
Location: 
Sydney
Production Date: 
1916

On this day

On this day
16 April

1895 — The Royal Navy depot at Circular Quay was transferred to Garden Island

1941 — During a single patrol in a period of aggressive night raids and patrols around the perimeter of the besieged port of TOBRUK, 2/48th Battalion troops captured 803 prisoners. There were two Australian casualties

1967 — HMAS HOBART began her involvement in Operation Sea Dragon during the VIETNAM WAR