Redevelopment of Anzac Memorial begins

20 August 2016

The first sod has today been turned on the $40 million enhancement of the Anzac Memorial in Sydney’s Hyde Park.

“It is fantastic that work has today begun on this major upgrade, which will bring to life the original 1930s vision of Sydney’s Anzac Memorial,” NSW Premier Mike Baird said.

“By enhancing this Memorial we are ensuring future generations can continue to honour those who fought for the freedoms we enjoy today.

“Just this week Australians were reminded of the sacrifices made by the men and women who have served our country, with the 50 year commemoration of the Battle of Long Tan in Vietnam.”

Senator for NSW the Hon Arthur Sinodinos AO said the redevelopment included plans to build an education and interpretation centre beneath the Anzac Memorial, and a water cascade at the southern side of the Memorial.

“The Commonwealth is very proud to be contributing to this important project, which will help to preserve and enhance the legacy of our service men and women,” Mr Sinodinos said.

NSW Minister for Veterans Affairs David Elliott said Budget constraints during the Great Depression meant the original architectural plans were never completed.

“It is fitting that as we commemorate the Centenary of Anzac we commence work on this significant project which honours the men and women who have served our country in the armed forces,” Mr Elliott said.

The $40 million upgrade is jointly funded by the NSW and Australian Governments.  It is due to be completed as Centenary of Anzac commemorations conclude in 2018.

The construction tender has been awarded to Built. The company recently completed a refurbishment of the First World War Galleries in the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.

On this day

On this day
16 February

1942— BANKA ISLAND MASSACRE. Following the sinking of the SS Vyner Brook, many of the survivors, including 22 Australian nurses, reached the shore of Banka Island. Realising that their position was desperate, an officer from the ship set out with most of the women and children to surrender the group to the Japanese. The officer returned with 20 Japanese soldiers who ordered all the men capable of walking to move to hidden part of the beach and killed them. They then returned to the beach and ordered the 22 nurses and 1 British civilian woman to walk into the water. They were machine-gunned in the back. All the immobile survivors were then killed. Sister Vivian Bullwinkle pretended to be dead and was the only survivor